Breathing new life
Lately the blog has been a place for me to process some tough stuff. I've also had a lot of good, fun stuff going on, so it's a shame the lighter side isn't represented. I guess the hard stuff needs processing, and the blog is one way I do that. Who needs to process fun?
The one-year anniversary of my dad's death is this coming Tuesday--November 21. For a while I really dreaded the anniversary. But you know, it may not be as hard as I imagined. I've been mucking along so heavily lately that I am really ready to come out of it and (as my counselor says) to "let a year of grieving be a year of grieving." To take down the black curtains and put up some yellow ones. To breathe some life and newness into a year of so much death and loss.
Certainly I don't think things are going to look magically different once Nov 21 comes and goes. But I do think a kind of release is taking place inside me. I am focusing more and more these days on how to celebrate my dad and the gifts he gave and continues to give me.
And dammit, I love Advent and Christmas. I'd really like to enjoy them this year.
The theme for my Wednesday meditations this month is Gratitude. What came to me this week is this: "Even in death, there is new life. It is this for which I adopt a posture of Gratitude."


2 Comments:
"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos into order, confusion into clarity.... It turns problems into gifts, failures into success, the unexpected into perfect timing, and mistakes into important events. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow."
-Melodie Beattie
And another one from Ralph Waldo Emerson: "I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new."
Thanks and blessings to you, Mel!
Shannon
November 22, 2006 6:42 AM
Thanks Shannon for keeping in touch from afar. We miss you!!
December 04, 2006 3:29 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home