my teacher told me one thing, live in the soul. when that was so, i began to go naked, and dance. - lalla

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Today is national Love Your Body Day

The website (from NOW) has great info on health issues, body image, ways to raise awareness, advocacy tools, etc.

I'm in a spiritual practices group, and this month we're talking about our bodies. We're developing spiritual practices to fuel their health and well-being. (Then each of the next 8 months we'll focus on other parts of our lives--mind, emotions, soul, spirit, sex, relationships, Earth, etc--in a holistic, integrated approach.) This week's discussion helped me realize that my body gives me amazing gifts every day, and I need to thank it. Check out this meditation for reflecting on gifts that your body gives you.

Spiritual practices I'm considering for my own body include:
- regular exercise (dancing, cycling, hiking, weightlifting)
- eating more whole foods
- drinking less alcohol (and more water)
- allowing myself to cry and feel grief as my body needs to.

I haven't created a plan yet, but I'm getting there. Generally though, it means just plain loving my body and actively caring for it.

Do you love your body?
All of it? Just certain parts?
How do you love your body and care for it?


(with thanks to katie and carrie)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that I can piece my body together from my parents' physical characteristics. I recall my Mother's beautiful strong hands folded in her lap at church. I look at my hands, and I see her. I remember following my Father's lean legs, striding through the woods, hunting for mushrooms. I am carried by my Father's legs. I was formed and fashioned from their mold. It is a strange joy and a constant awareness that my body is their body too.

October 19, 2006 3:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home