Bye bye laptop
I am experiencing one of those moments in life where I want to completely reorganize, throw stuff out and get back to basics. In particular, this week, that means the scary task of cleaning out The Guest Room Closet. It is here that I came across the old work laptop--you know, the one that weighs about 100 pounds. The IT people said long ago that we can't upgrade because it won't take any operating system higher than Windows 95, and yesterday in retrieving my old files, I discovered that it also does not take my jump drive. So I am digging up old 3.5s to save what (if anything) I may still "need." Yee-haw.The good news is that my workplace recycles obsolete electronic equipment at CyberCycle, a program of the City of Louisville. In perusing their site I discovered they take a plethora of items electro(u)nique. Such as my old walkman (broken), my old discman (broken), my old camera (broken), a friend's old cell phone (obsolete), and Terri's old PC (obsolete--and also taking up residence in the guest closet), which she disassembled upon kindly replacing my CD burner and DVD player. (That process was also scary, as the inner caverns of my tower had collected enough cat fur to create--as Di put it--a whole new cat!)
So check out CyberCycle. Our good city properly disposes of toxic substances such as lead and cadmium and reuses the shells and parts containing said contaminants. The residents' program allows ordinary janes like me to drop off up to three items (or systems--meaning tower, monitor, keyboard, mouse, external drive) per visit, free of charge.


2 Comments:
Cleaning up and clearing out...me too girlfriend...I hope to get to hang out soon and see what you have done. I also would like to make a comment about another blog... that I would join you on your porch soon also and have a glass of that mean iced tea of yours! Say hey to Zeke and Abby for me!
August 23, 2006 5:47 PM
C'mon over... we are soooo overdue for a visit!
May see you tonight--Jennifer said folks were heading to Turner's for your game, I'm gonna try to get there too.
August 24, 2006 10:04 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home