my teacher told me one thing, live in the soul. when that was so, i began to go naked, and dance. - lalla

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

While we're on the subject

...of anniversaries, I'd like to mention a few more. Can you believe:

1 year (almost) since Hurricane Katrina.
(Good info at NCC Eco-Justice and New Orleans Network.)

5 years (almost) since September 11.
(Check New Yorkers for a Dept of Peace and Nonviolent Peaceforce.)

8 years (last week) since I moved to Louisville - !

100 years (also Sept 11) since Mohandas K. Ghandi launched the modern nonviolence movement.

Seems there's a lot going in the universe these days...

Any other anniversaries out there?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exactly two years ago yesterday I was officially hired on at the Louisville Metro Police Department and started my academy. Two years ago today was "hell day". Our instructors put us through a G.I.Jane type of day just to see who would drop out. We lost two recruits that day; they decided it wasn't worth getting yelled at, kicked, or punched...or maybe they didn't like getting covered in mud and grass doing all those push-ups. The two recruits had to ring a bell, (like on G.I. Jane) while we all stood at attention, with our backs towards them. I remember watching the sun shine through the trees, and thinking how strange this moment was. I was so far away from anything I knew. But at least I had the sun, and the trees.

August 24, 2006 3:15 PM

 
Blogger RedHeronCurrents said...

Friday, September 1, 2006 marks 16 years since I moved away from home to Louisville, Kentucky!

August 28, 2006 7:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

September 11th 1973, Agusto Pinochet led a (U.S.-backed) coup against Chilean President Salvador Allende, and went-on to rule as dictator until 1990, torturing and murdering thousands...

September 04, 2006 9:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home