my teacher told me one thing, live in the soul. when that was so, i began to go naked, and dance. - lalla

Monday, August 28, 2006

59 or 116--and everywhere in between

The world's oldest person (Maria Esther de Capovilla of Ecuador) has just died, at age 116. The next-oldest person in the world (Elizabeth Bolden of USA) is also 116.

Kinda puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

I'm 30, so if I live to be 116, right now I'm only about a quarter of the way through my life. However, if I live as long as my dad (59), right now my life is half over.

Either way I'm doing my best to live each day to the fullest. That's one of the great lessons we learned from my dad. You never know what will happen. You gotta make the time you have the best it can be. Even if you're suffering or sad or sick or having a rough time, you honor those experiences, you reach out, you keep moving. You love the people who are here now. You breathe deep. You give thanks each day.

I'm convinced that these practices are what helped my dad live as long as he did. And maybe it's what helped Maria Esther de Capovilla live to 116 too.

I love that "in her youth, Capovilla liked to embroider, paint, play piano and waltz at parties." I, too, love to paint, and I love to play the piano, and I love to waltz. Embroidery I'm not so sure about, but I am learning to knit...

59 or 116 or 30... take life by the reins and go!

3 Comments:

Blogger RedHeronCurrents said...

Today, reading your statement "you honor those experiences, you reach out, you keep moving" hit me hard. Having a sad day, and feeling ashamed and bad for expressing those feelings, then coming home to read this, helped me considerably. Still sad, but not feeling the complimentary shame of earlier. Thank you for reminding me what I already know, but seem to forget when I need it most.

August 28, 2006 7:50 PM

 
Blogger Noelle said...

just want you to know that here on this side we love reading your meanderings. though noelle and i don't quite have the whole blogging thing down yet, we working on it. feel free to visit the site anytime.
networknotes.blogspot.com

August 29, 2006 5:56 PM

 
Blogger Noelle said...

just wanted you to know that here on this side we enjoy your blog. feel free to visit ours anytime.
networknotes.blogspot.com
-k

August 29, 2006 5:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home